Cornelius firefighters on Friday morning responded to a possible structure fire at the Discovery Place Kids building in Huntersville. Crews found smoke that appeared to be from an electrical fire in a piece of equipment. Also this week, crews responded to a gas leak on Pocono Lane Thursday in the Heritage Green neighborhood in Cornelius, and assisted Davidson crews in investigating a fire alarm on Glasgow Street March 24. Read below for details of these and other calls.
ELECTRICAL EQUIPMENT FIRE
Firefighters from Cornelius Station 1 were called to assist Huntersville crews with a possible structure fire at the Discovery Place Kids building Friday morning around 10:15. When Huntersville firefighters arrived on the scene, there was no visible fire from the outside of the three-story building, according to fire radio, and upon investigation it appeared there had been an electrical fire in a piece of equipment on the second floor of the building. They found smoke but no active fire, and worked to ventilate the building.
FIRE DEPT. REPORTS MARCH 23 – MARCH 30
SATURDAY, MARCH 24, 1:51 p.m., 100 block of Glasgow Street – Cornelius was dispatched to help Davidson firefighters respond to a fire alarm. At the scene, they helped to investigate and found no sign of fire.
MONDAY, MARCH 26, 3:48 p.m., 20800 block of N. Main St. – First responders helped treat a man’s injuries after he wrecked his moped. The patient refused further treatment or transport.
THURSDAY, MARCH 29, 11:33 a.m., 19400 block of Pocono Lane – Firefighters from Station 1 responded to a gas leak on Pocono Lane, where construction crews were working. Firefighters clamped the gas line without incident.
MEDICAL CALLS: In addition to the fire calls, crews responded to more than a dozen medical / EMS calls, including an allergic reaction, a fall victim, and a psychological issue, among others. Patient privacy laws prohibit public release of addresses or other details of medical calls.